Previous coin
50 lei 2015 - Wooden Church "Dormition" from the Village Museum in Chișinău
Next coin
30 mm diameter, 16.5 g, 99.9% silver, grained edge
year 2015, circular inscription REPUBLICA MOLDOVA meaning "REPUBLIC OF MOLDAVIA" and the coat of arms of the Republic of Moldavia, in exergue horizontal line and denomination "50 LEI"
an image of the church, circular inscription "BISERICA DE LEMN • ADORMIREA MAICII DOMNULUI • meaning "WOODEN CHURCH DORMITION OF THE MOTHER OF GOD"

Issuing date: 2nd of November 2015

Mintage: 500 coins


The coin belongs to the series "Holy Places" [Buildings].

About the Village Museum in Chișinău

Ethnographer and folklorist Petre Ștefănucă [1], [2], a great admirer of the virtues of the Basarabian peasant, issued in the 1930s the idea of creating and open-air museum in Basarabia, centered on the Rmanian peasant. The idea did not bear fruit and, during the Soviet occupation years, Petre Ștefănucă was sentenced to death and executed - in 1942 - by the occupation authorities. Only on February 15th 1991, after the debut of the National Revival, the Direction of Village Museum was created by order no 43 of the Ministry of Culture (led by Ion Ungureanu at the time). Subsequently to field research and finalization of the project concept, the first monument was successfully inaugurated on May 18th 1995. This date could be considered the establishment / opening date for the Museum. The first item was the windmill in the Opaci village, former county of Tighina, nowadays in the raion of Căușeni. (Coincidence or not, Opaci is the birth place of Ion Ungureanu.)

About the Wooden Church "Dormition"

The church was built in 1642 at the Hîrjauca Monastery, as founded by yeomen from the Hirișeni village next to the borough of Telenești. In 1821 the church was moved to Hirișeni, where it served as parish church and then as cemetery chapel.

This beautiful and stately wooden church - 27 meters in height - reached the Village Museum in Chișinău sometimes during years 2009 and 2011. On September 24th In 2011, after restoration, the church was consecrated again and inaugurated as the first ecclesiastic monument of architecture inside the Museum.

References

1. Butnaru Tatiana, Petre Ștefănucă și idealul unității naționale [Petre Ștefănucă and the ideal of national Unity]. Basarabia Literară, on-line newspaper of the Romanian Writers' Society in Basarabia, 23rd of November 2016, visited in January 2020.

2. Golopenția Sanda, Iată cum am pierdut un savant de mare cultură. Despre suprimarea de către sovietici a folcloristului basarabean Petre Ștefănucă, în 1942 [Here is how we lost a scientist of great culture. About the repression by the Soviets of the Basarabian folklorist Petre Ștefănucă, in 1942]. Memoria.ro - [Digital library of interviews, memoires, oral history, books and images from recent Romanian history, presenting events of the 20th century as are reflected in the conscience of those who lived the]. visited in January 2020.


Back to selection page!