||2 hryvnia 2000 - University of Cernăuți - 125 Years||
31 mm diameter, 12.8 g, German silver (a silvery copper-nickel-zinc alloy), reeded edge |
Obverse: UKRAINA, year 2008, the small coat of arms of Ukraine, inscription "2 GRIVNI" (with Cyrillic letters) meaning "2 HRYVNI", at right the logotype of National Bank of Ukraine, on the sides drawings reproducing adornments from the ceiling of the Marble Hall - the former Great Synodal Hall of the Metropolitan Palace, inside which in year 1918 the Union of Bucovina with Romania was voted
|Reverse: the facade of the main building of the university - the former Palace of the Orthodox Metropolitan of Bucovina and Dalmatia, viewed through three arches separated by two columns (belonging to a portico from another building from the architectural complex), inscriptions "CERNIVETSKII DERJAVNYI UNIVERSITET" and "125 ROKIV" (with Cyrillic letters) meaning "NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF CERNĂUȚI" and "125 YEARS"
Issuing date: 15th of September 2000
Mintage: 50.000 coins
This coin was issued by the National Bank of Ukraine for the celebration of 125 years from the establishment of the University of Cernăuți. The coin belongs to the "Higher Educational Establishments of Ukraine" series. The coin design was created by Ukrainian artists Mykola Kochubey, being engraved by Sviatoslav Ivanenko.
This coin appears on Romanian coins because the city of Cernăuți played a very important role in the history of medieval Moldavia and of the modern Romania.
About the University of Cernăuți
The University of Cernăuți was established in year 1875. At that time the city of Cernăuți (along the entire Bucovina, stolen from Moldavia in 1775) was part of the Austria-Hungary, so the university was named - expectedly - after the ruling emperor Franz Joseph, and the studies were conducted there mainly in German.
Following WWI and the Union of Bucovina with Romania, the university of Cernăuți received the name of king Carol I of Romania.
After WWII the northern part of Bucovina was occupied by Soviet Union. In 1989 the university was renamed after Yuri Fedkovich (1834 - 1888), Ukrainian writer born at Putila in Bucovina, and who lived for several years in Cernăuți.
About the main building of the university of Cernăuți
The building that appears on the coin is a part of the former residence of the Orthodox bishopric - Metropolitan Palace (from 1873 the bishopric became metropolitan), architectural complex erected between 1864 and 1882, as creation of Czech architect Josef Hlavka (1831 - 1908). The construction was initiated by the Romanian bishop Eugenie Hacman (1793 - 1873), known mainly for promoting the teaching in Romanian in Bucovina. The inauguration of the complex took place in 1882, being made by Silvestru Morariu-Andrievici (1818 - 1895), archbishop of Cernăuți and metropolitan of Bucovina and Dalmatia.
Inside the building on the coin resides the Great Synodal Hall, in which the Romanian National Council organized the General Congress of Bucovina that voted on November 15th - old style / November 28th - new style the "Unconditional and eternal Union of Bucovina in its old boundaries over to Ceremuș, Colacin and Nistru, with the Kingdom of Romania". Nowadays this hall was renamed to Marble Hall. The adornments from the ceiling of this hall are represented on the coin obverse.