||5 hryvnia 2000 - Cetatea Albă - 2500 years||
35 mm diameter, 16.54 g, German silver (a silvery copper-nickel-zinc alloy), reeded edge |
Obverse: year 2008, the small coat of arms of Ukraine, inscription "UKRAINA 5 GRIVENI" (with Cyrillic letters) meaning "UKRAINE 5 HRYVNIA", below the logotype of NBU, all inside a frame shaped as a heraldic shield, encircled by a Greek ornamental motif
|Reverse: inscription "BILGOROD DNISTROVSKII 2500 ROKIV" (with Cyrillic letters) meaning "CETATEA ALBĂ [WHITE FORTRESS] 2500 YEARS", an image of the fortress, the Ukrainian coat of arms of the city, between six ancient coins issued by the Greek city of Tyras
Mintage: 50.000 coins
This coin was issued by the National Bank of Ukraine for the celebration of 2500 years from the founding of Tyras, nowadays Cetatea Albă (Ukrainian name: Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi). The coin belongs to the "Old Cities of Ukraine" series.
This coin appears on Romanian coins because Cetatea Albă played a very important role in the history of medieval Moldavia. Cetatea Albă appears also on a coin issued in 2008 by Transnistria, belonging to the Old fortresses on River Nistru series (on the page featuring the Transnistrian coin you can find several information about the history of Cetatea Albă).
The Ukrainian name for Cetatea Albă was designed as BILHOROD DNISTROVSKYI, meaning White Town on [River] Nistru, in order to avoid confusion of this town with others called BILHOROD (White Town). Cetatea Alba belongs to Ukraine since the second world war.
The three Tyra (or Tyras) ancient coins on the reverse are:
About the Romanian coat of arms of Cetatea Albă, between WWI and WWII
The Official Gazette number 171 from August 2nd 1930 shows that the coat of arms of the city of Cetatea Albă is a silver stronghold with three round towers with pointed roofs. The stronghold is placed on a black terrace emerging from a silver sea. In the center was placed the coat of arms of Moldavia, showing that Cetatea Albă is an old Moldavian town. The shield is adorned with a silver mural crown with seven crenulated towers.
The grapevine with grapes represented on the nowadays coat of arms is taken from the old Czarist coat of arms adopted in 1826 and is an allusion to the vineyards of the region. The grapevine also appeared on the Romanian coat of arms of the Cetatea Albă county.