||100 lei 2007 - 380 years since the enthronement of Petru Rareș in Moldavia||
37 mm diameter, 31.1 g, 92.5% silver, flat edge
year 2007, circular inscription REPUBLICA MOLDOVA meaning "REPUBLIC OF MOLDAVIA" and the coat of arms of the Republic of Moldavia, in exergue denomination "100 LEI"
|effigy of the Moldavian prince, Soroca Fortress, years 1527 and 2007, inscription PETRU RAREȘ|
The coin was struck at the Czech Mint, having a mintage of 500 pieces.
The Fortress of Soroca is also represented on a commemorative silver coin of 100 rubles 2007 issued by Transnistria (self proclaimed state on the eastern strip of the Republic of Moldavia) as member of series Old Fortresses on Nistru and on a 50 lei coin issued by Republic of Moldova in 2012.
About voivod Peter Rareș
Peter Rareș had two reigns: between years 1527 and 1538 and between 1541 and 1546. Peter was son of Stephen the Great and of Mary (Rareșoaia) in the borough of Hîrlău (county of Hîrlău, today county of Iași).
Romanian history appreciated him highly as both a man of the state and a man of culture. Moldavian chronicler Grigore Ureche put it: "Truly was he son of Stephen voivod the Good, that in all resembled he to his father, as in wars it went luckily, triumphing evermore, good things he did, the country and heritage like a good shepard he considered, right trials on justice he did."
During the reign of Rareș the Moldavian armies had several campaigns in Transylvania and Poland. Peter lost the reign in 1538 as result of the invasion led by sultan Suleiman II, fleeing to the Transylvanian, Moldavian ruled fortress of Ciceu. That was the time when the Turks confiscated the treasury of Moldavia (over to the present day) and also seized the southern part of Moldavia between rivers Prut and Nistru (later known as Bugeac), including the fortress of Tighina that became raia unde the Turkish name of Bender.
Peter Rareș was burried in the church founded by him in the village of Probota (county of Iași).
About the Fortress of Soroca
The first information about the fortress of Soroca appearred in documents from the late reign of Stephen the Great and the Holy. The fortress was made of wood and earth at the time. Between 1543 and 1545 Peter Rareș rebuilt the fortress in stone.
The fortress of Soroca is circular, with four round towers and a rectangular gate tower. The inner diameter of the fortress is 26 meters wide.
As result of the Polish king John Sobieski's campaign of year 1691, the North of Moldavia was occupied by the Poles. A Polish garrison was then installed at Soroca. The efforts of voivod Constantin Cantemir to conquer back the fortress concluded with no result, as we learn from the chronicle of Ion Neculce: "In the seventh year of his reign Cantemir-voivod prepared himself with his army, and went to take the fortress of Soroca [...]. And they stood around the fortess some weeks, beating the fortress, having mounds and tunnels. They stormed too strongly and could not take it, and many army perrished then, when Turks and Moldavians gave assaults. And not so much army was inside the fortress, like two, three hundred dragoons and Cossacks; only that they from the fortress hit in man only, and those from outside could not spoil anything." Through the treaty of Carlowitz in 1699 the fortresses and monasteries occupied by the Poles were returned to Moldavia.
Petru Rareș founded the church of Dormition of the Mother of God in Baia (1532).
Petru Rareș also founded Moldovița Monastery (1532).