||10 lei 2005
Imperial Eagle - Red Book Series
24.5 mm diameter, 13.5 g, 92.5% silver, flat edge |
year 2008, circular inscription REPUBLICA MOLDOVA meaning "REPUBLIC OF MOLDAVIA" and the coat of arms of the Republic of Moldavia, in exergue denomination "10 LEI"
|imperial eagle on a branch of a tree, circular inscription · ACVILĂ IMPERIALĂ · CARTEA ROȘIE · AQUILA HELIACA meaning "IMPERIAL EAGLE RED BOOK" (the scientific name being written with cursive capital letters)
Issuing date: 29th of August 2005
Maximum mintage: 500 coins
The Red Book series comprises the following 10 lei silver coins (over to June 2018):
- wildcat and green woodpecker in 2001,
- black stork and European mink in 2003,
- pine marten in 2004,
- imperial eagle in 2005,
- great bustard in 2006,
- European ground squirrel in 2007 and
- white waterlily in 2008.
The series also comprises the following 50 lei coins:
- Eurasian spoonbill in 2011,
- European pond turtle in 2015,
- red-breasted goose in 2016,
- Dianthus deltoides - maiden pink in 2018 (2017).
About the eastern imperial eagle
The eastern imperial eagle has a wingspread of two meters and a body of 80 centimeters in length. The bird nests in trees and hunts rodents and birds. It is a species rarely seen in Romania.